iOS 8 is now available and we have had a number of users ask, "Is it safe to upgrade?".
While we are still urging caution with iOS 8, most users have reported it is working well. We are not currently in panic mode. We do suggest installing iOS 8 on a non-critical device first and make sure it works with your particular setup. There are some scenarios for users that may cause issues. Here are some issues that we are aware of:
- Action menus appear as a white background with white text. This has been corrected in OnSong 1.992 which was released on September 28, 2014.
- Viewing RTF files in the new iOS 8 viewer in nonfunctional and is a known issue with iOS 8. Update: This has been corrected in iOS 8.1 beta so we are confident that this will be corrected for most users as soon as iOS 8.1 is released.
- There are issues with the text in the song editor being scrolled out of range when initially opening longer songs. We have replicated this and are troubleshooting. It appears to be widespread in other apps as well but does not seriously inhibit editing aside from an extra swipe gesture. This also appears to be corrected in iOS 8.1.
- We are tracking issues with iOS 8 and external video adapters (but not AirPlay). We receive a hard, iOS-level crash when autoscrolling. We have notified Apple of this bug. Update: Still crashing in iOS 8.0.2 and iOS 8.1 beta. To prevent this crash, lower the resolution of the video output under OnSong Settings » Live Settings » External Video » Screen Resolution.
- While the 30-pin to HDMI adapter was not working in iOS 8.0.0, this functionality has returned in iOS 8.0.2.
- One user has reported a hard crash/kernel panic of iOS 8 when using AirPlay to an AppleTV.
- Two users are reporting issues with Microsoft Word files rendering incorrectly. This is controlled by iOS 8 and nothing that OnSong can fix. We have submitted a bug report to Apple. Update: Still experiencing rendering issues in iOS 8.0.2.
- One user reported performance issues that are also occurring in other apps such as periodic freezes. We are working to isolate this issue.
- One user is reporting issues with the metronome stopping backing track audio. We have replicated this issue but it appears to be caused by setting "None" as the audio for the metronome and not specific to iOS 8.
- Users are experiencing issues with Internet connectivity when using apps under iOS 8. We are working to replicate this issue.
Always remember to have a backup of your OnSong library in case something goes awry. Here's a backup and restore video tutorial to help keep your songs and sets safe during the transition.
Hope that helps with your decision making!