iOS 8 is now available and we have had a number of users ask, "Is it safe to upgrade?".
While we are still urging caution with iOS 8, we have been hearing favorable reports. Nothing is really a "showstopper", or is an issue in iOS 8 that we cannot change. We are not currently in panic mode. We do suggest installing iOS 8 on a non-critical device first and make sure it works with your particular setup. Here are some issues that we have been made aware of:
- Action menus appear as a white background with white text. This has been corrected and submitted to Apple for review.
- Viewing RTF files in the new iOS 8 viewer in nonfunctional and is a known issue with iOS 8.
- There are issues with the text in the song editor being scrolled out of range when initially opening longer songs. We have replicated this and are troubleshooting. It appears to be widespread in other apps as well but does not seriously inhibit editing aside from an extra swipe gesture.
- We are tracking issues with iOS 8 and external video adapters (but not AirPlay). We receive a hard, iOS-level crash when autoscrolling. We have notified Apple of this bug.
- We are unable to use a 30-pin to HDMI adapter when connecting an iPhone 4S and other older devices may also be unable to use this adapter. We receive a "The accessory is not supported" message with no video content sent to the screen. We have submitted a bug report to Apple.
- Two users are reporting issues with Microsoft Word files rendering incorrectly. This is controlled by iOS 8 and nothing that OnSong can fix. We have submitted a bug report to Apple.
- One user reported performance issues that are also occurring in other apps such as periodic freezes. We are working to isolate this issue.
- One user is reporting issues with the metronome stopping backing track audio. We have not been able to replicate this issue.
Always remember to have a backup of your OnSong library in case something goes awry. Here's a backup and restore video tutorial to help keep your songs and sets safe during the transition.
Hope that helps with your decision making!